I have a lot of crepe paper just laying around. Just rolls of it. I have been trying to figure out a good use for it that didn’t involve streaming it from the ceiling. I can’t think of a more beautiful way to use crepe paper than to make crepe paper flowers. They are super pretty and make perfect decorations to your home decor. Best part is, you never have to water them and they never die! Beautiful flowers that last forever, sign me up.
I am going to show you the easiest way I have found to make crepe paper flowers. After lots of trial and error I finally found a method that works well for me and I think is ridiculously easy. You can make variations of these with supplies you have on hand.
For this tutorial you will need:
- Crepe paper, you can use rolls or sheets. I use two different colors in this tutorial
- Floral Wire, if you don’t have floral wire you can use a toothpick or any kind of skewer it just won’t be bendable.
- Floral Tape and/or Washi Tape, I used washi tape because it’s a bit more tacky and easier for this method
- Scissors and/or fringe scissors
- Glue, a hot glue gun works wonderfully
- Wire cutters (optional)
1. Take a small square section of crepe paper and crumple it into a ball. Glue it to the floral wire.
2. Take another section of crepe paper a few inches long and use fringe scissors or regular scissors to cut a fringe. Cut to just over half of the width.
3. Glue the fringe piece to the floral wire so that the fringe extends just over the center part.
4. Fold up the crepe paper that will be used for the petals. Here, I folded it 10 times. If you want an even fuller flower cut more petals. Once it is folded cut out a petal shape.
5. Layout the washi or floral tape and begin placing petals along the edge leaving small gaps in between each petal. Once you have all the petals on the tape, begin rolling the tape along the floral wire to adhere. You can continue adding the tape all the way down the stem.
6. I covered the stem with a brown washi tape afterwards.
7. Shape your crepe paper flower however you want. The crepe paper petals are very moldable.
There are a lot of options for crepe paper flowers. If you make a lot of them you can make a bouquet or a wreath. Use different colors to add variation and try cutting different petal shapes as well as using decorative scissors on the edges. What will you do with your paper flowers?